This is a short tutorial on how to play Babel from Rio Grande Games. Notably, it only includes the rules necessary to solve our Babel 1.0 puzzle. More complete rules may be found on the BoardGameGeek.
On your turn there are five actions you can take. Except for action #5, you may do any of these as many times as you are able.
- Move your figure. Play a card from your hand to move your figure to that space. eg. Play a Sumerer card from your hand to move your figure to the red space on the board.
- Add a tribe card. Add a card from your hand your current location. The played card goes on top of any existing cards. (Note that you may play any tribe card, not just those matching the colour of that location.)
- Build a temple level. You may build a temple at your current location using the top card in either of the temple stacks. There are two restrictions: You can only build temples in strict numerical orderólevel 1 first, then 2, then 3 and so on. Second, you must have at least as many tribe cards at that location as the level you wish to build. So, if you have four tribe cards at your current location you may only build up to level 4 (until you place more people cards there). Temple level cards are placed on top of existing cards (important for the Hethiter special power).
- Use a special power. If you have three cards of the same tribe directly next to each other at your current location you may discard one of them and execute that tribe's special power (see below).
- Migrate. Once per turn you may move the top three cards from any location (without changing their order) to any other location. (Note that your marker does not need to be at either of these locations.) You must move exactly three cards. If a location has only one or two tribe cards, you may not migrate from that location.
Special powers of the five tribes
- Meder (Green) - Your opponent must remove all cards from a tribe of your choice at that location.
- Sumerer (Red) - Your opponent must give you all cards matching his topmost card at that location. These cards are added to your cards at that location.
- Assyrer (Blue) - Your opponent's temple is completely destroyed. Remove all his temple cards at that location.
- Hethiter (Yellow) - You immediately steal your opponent's top temple card at that location. You must have at least as many people cards at that location as the level stolen (including the card used to invoke this action).
- Perser (Grey) - You may skip a level when building temples. e.g. You may build a level 4 temple even if that location currently has only a level 2 temple. You must have at least as many people cards at that location as the level built (including the card used to invoke this action).
Winning the game: You can win the game in one of two waysóreduce your opponent to 9 or fewer total points in temples or build at least 20 points in temples yourself.